Thursday, February 3, 2011
'I'm Still Here'
Upon watching the Joaquin Phoenix mockumentary, 'I'm Still Here' I found it imperative to write about what I thought about it.
Even though the whole thing was bullshit, it was still vividly entertaining. It had a little bit of every element that makes it a sensual experience; it was funny, misunderstood, awkward, exciting, and mostly sad. To think that this was an actor who had reached the apex of his career and decided to take a leap of faith and pursue a career as rapper. Like I said before, it was all bullshit, but, the idea behind it was genius and I think that there was something behind it all that we all can learn from and appreciate.
At this point you're probably thinking, what's your point? Well, I'm getting there...
Durkheim said that there was an almost inexplicable external force that controlled our demeanor and everyday lives..."Social Powers". It explained the way we acted and interacted in everyday life, socialization. With this process it's almost as if we're programmed to sit, eat, walk, talk, and everything else in between. In Phoenix's case, acting is the same way...you're told to show up at a certain time, read lines that someone else wrote, dress up in clothing somebody wants you to wear, etc. If acting and performance is considered an expressive art, doesn't the influence of the "Tinseltown" industry negate that ideology? I think so. That's why it makes a lot of sense why someone would want to do something like this.
Karl Marx called it "Species Being", this is the fulfillment of 1) Choice 2) Control and 3) Ownership. If all of these sensual needs aren't fulfilled than we are in-fact exploited and alienated, according to Marx. I think the perception that Joaquin Phoenix portrayed in the film was that of this. His character wanted his own way of doing things. Deviating and expressing his views of how the world worked was all that mattered. It didn't matter that his raps & rhymes sucked, it's the fact that he had total control of his destiny.
You're probably thinking, "Wow Gabe, you're a such a nerd with all of this sociological theorist referencing". It's really the only way I can formally connect it to what or why it makes sense.
I think that the world needs more Joaquin Phoenix's (or real one's at least). I think that he's still an amazing actor, in everything that he's done. I don't necessarily know why he did what he did, but, if it was to relay a message I most certainly got and understood it. It's okay to go against the grain every once in a while, it's okay to put all of your cards on the table and see what life gives you, regardless of the persecutions or what lies ahead. It sounds terrible, but, there really was a life lesson behind it all. This blog probably belongs on Alan Geiss' page, hopefully, he'll have some insight.
That's all folks.
-g
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment